Homemade Pistachio Milk
Move over Oat Milk: Pistachio Milk is the new, exciting and exceptionally delicious plant-based milk in town. Made with just 3 ingredients, this pale green, dairy-free, creamy recipe is a MUST try and a recipe that you will come back to again and again. Homemade pistachio milk is surprisingly easy to make, and can be paired with a variety of dishes. I’m talking about lattes, hot chocolate, smoothies, oatmeal and even ice cream. I mean, YUM. You can even flavour the milk with vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom and pumpkin spice to make it a dessert in and of itself.
Is Pistachio Milk Healthy?
With a myriad of milk options out there, the nutritional information of each milk should play a role in which one you choose to make. In terms of nutrition, pistachio milk is similar to almond milk. Plain, unsweetened pistachio milk will have lower amounts of carbohydrates, calories, saturated fat, and also protein than cow’s milk. However, similar to almond milk it is an excellent source of vitamins A and C.
What Does It Taste Like?
Pistachio milk has a mild pistachio flavour. It’s creamy and smooth and has a slightly rich taste as well. It tastes delicious as is; however, you can add many different flavours. See below for our favourite delicious flavours that go amazingly well with pistachio milk!
How to Make Homemade Pistachio Milk
Making homemade pistachio milk is extremely easy and similar to making almond milk. It requires only 4 steps:
- Soak the pistachios overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Blend soaked pistachios with cold water in a blender, adding rose petals and sea salt and any other additional flavourings you desire. Blend on high for about 3 minutes.
- Strain mixture using a nut-milk bag or cheese cloth into an airtight container.
- Chill pistachio milk until ready to use. Recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
There are so many great ways you can sweeten or flavour your pistachio milk. Here are a few of our favs:
- Sweeten with Medjool dates, maple syrup, agave or honey.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Spice it up with cardamom, cinnamon, ginger or pumpkin spice.
- Pair with Matcha for the ultimate matcha latte.
Can I Use Roasted or Salted Pistachios to Make Pistachio Milk?
Raw pistachios work best as they when soaked they produce a smooth, creamy texture. If you only have salted nuts on hand, you can use them, just keep in mind that the milk may be slightly salty.
Homemade Pistachio Milk
Move over Oat Milk: Pistachio Milk is the new, exciting and exceptionally delicious plant-based milk in town. Made with just 3 ingredients, this pale green, dairy-free, creamy recipe is a MUST try and a recipe that you will come back to again and again.
1 cup raw shelled pistachios, soaked overnight (up to 48 hours) in the fridge
4 cups cold filtered water
3 rose petals
Pinch of sea salt (optional)
Sweeteners like honey, sugar, maple syrup, agave syrup (optional)
After the pistachios have soaked overnight, drain, and rinse them.
Then, pour the cold filtered water into your blender, add pistachios, rose petals, and sea salt or any optional add-ins. Blend on high for a few minutes.
Strain through a nut-milk bag or a few layers of cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Pour the pistachio milk into an airtight storage container and place it in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Sign up to get email updates