Can You Roast Nuts in the Air Fryer?
We love using an air fryer for all sorts of different recipes. It’s a healthier alternative to frying and, in our opinion, air fried food tastes just as good as its deep fried counterpart. But have you ever wondered if you can roast nuts in the air fryer?
The answer is absolutely you can! The indirect, dry heat from the air fryer creates an almost perfect, crunchy, golden colour to nuts, with the added bonus that it’s also a healthier alternative than on the stovetop or in the oven! You will be able to roast the majority of nuts in the air fryer; however, be careful of using chopped or sliced nuts as they may be smaller than the air fryer basket holes. So be sure to use whole nuts, as opposed to halves or pieces.
Tips for Toasting Nuts in the Air Fryer
- It’s okay to roast nuts with the skin on; however, you will need to take the skin off after they have been toasted. To do this most effectively, place the warm nuts in a paper towel and rub them together until all the skins have fallen off.
- If you are roasting smaller nuts, such as pine nuts or peanuts, place them on a small baking sheet that will fit on top of your air fryer basket. Just make sure the sheet you choose is heat safe. Roast the nuts for the same amount of time, tossing halfway.
- If you are adding the roasted nuts to a recipe that calls for chopped nuts, chop the nuts after roasting. Roasting whole nuts ensures a better result.
- Immediately after the nuts have finished roasting, remove them from the air fryer basket and place on a flat baking sheet or plate. Do not place in a bowl while they cool, as they will not cool evenly when stacked on top of each other.
How to Toast Each Kind of Nut
Depending on the type of nut, the roasting times will vary. Here is a detailed list of each type of nut and their estimated roasting time:
- Raw almonds (whole): 5 to 6 minutes
- Raw cashews: 4 to 5 minutes
- Raw hazelnuts (skin-on): 4 to 5 minutes (see Cook’s Note)
- Raw macadamia nuts: 3 to 4 minutes
- Raw peanuts (shelled with skin-on): 4 to 5 minutes (see Cook’s Note)
- Raw pecan halves: 4 to 5 minutes
- Raw walnut halves: 3 to 4 minutes
Roasted nuts will last in an air container at room temperature for about 2-3 months. Alternatively, you can store them in a freezer bag for up to 1 year in the freezer.
The Best Air Fryer Mixed Roasted Nuts Recipe
Equipment You Will Need:
- An air fryer (any size will work)
- A small mixing bowl
- A small baking sheet
- Raw Mixed Nuts - we used almonds, pecans, walnuts and cashews
- Olive Oil
- Herbs - we used a combination of rosemary, oregano and thyme
- Salt and Black Pepper
How to Air Fry Nuts:
- Preheat the air fryer to 325F.
- In a small bowl, combine the mixed nuts, olive oil, rosemary, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir to coat the nuts evenly and completely.
- Add the coated nut mixture to the preheated air fryer and cook for about 6 minutes. Be sure to toss them halfway through to ensure they cook evenly and to prevent any browning.
- Remove from heat and let the nuts cool completely before serving.
To learn more about all things roasted nuts, check out our blog on Everything You Need To Know About Roasted Nuts!
Sign up to get email updates