Oat Milk Recipe
This easy peasy oat milk recipe is date sweetened and always comes out smooth and creamy so it's perfect for adding to tea & coffee, cereal, baking and soup recipes and for just drinking on it's own!
Oat milk (and plant based milk in general) have become so trendy over the last few years that I'm sure pretty much almost everyone has tried it in some form or another. It's tasty, it's relatively low calorie and an excellent choice for those who are trying to eat plant based or those who are lactose intolerant.
Benefits Of Drinking Oat Milk:
- Dairy free: Dairy products are often very high in fat so oat milk is perfect for anyone trying to cut down on their fat intake as it contains zero saturated fat.
- High in fibre: Oat milk has twice the dietary fibre than cows milk. Specifically beta gluten which is a soluble fibre with heart health benefits.
- High in vitamins: When you buy store bought oat milk it is often fortified with B vitamins like riboflavin (B2) and vitamin B12. Keep in mind that homemade oat milk is not enriched with vitamins and won't be as nutritious as most commercial alternatives.
- Cholesterol free: Oat milk contains zero cholesterol and regular consumption may even lower bad cholesterol (LDL) in the blood.
How to Make Oat Milk
Making delicious oat milk is so easy, all you really need is a blender, oats and some filtered water! When we make oat milk we need to squeeze and press the mixture as much as possible so that it doesn't end up slimy and grainy. This is why we are going to strain it twice.
- Blend. Firstly, add the oats, medjool dates, vanilla extract and filtered water to a high power blender and blend for 1-2 minutes seconds. Be careful not to over-blend as it will ruin the texture!
- Strain. Next, place a cheese cloth over a mixing bowl and pour the oat milk through it.
- Strain again. For extra-smooth oat milk we recommend straining the liquid twice, discarding the leftover pulp both times.
- Chill, and enjoy! Oat milk tastes best when it’s cold from the fridge.
How To Use Oat Milk:
While it’s delicious by itself, the creamy, smooth texture and mild taste of oat milk makes it the perfect blank canvas for any recipe! Here are some of our favorite ways to use oat milk:
- As a dairy free thickener: If you're looking for a dairy-free creamer for soups, sauces or a dish like mac and cheese, oat milk works wonders.
- As a creamer: Everybody knows oat milk is the elite dairy-free creamer for teas and coffees. Try it in a latte and we promise you, you won't look back.
- In breakfast recipes: Oat milk is great for overnight oats, baked oatmeal, no-bake breakfast bars or simply poured over your cereal!
- In baking: If you're baking and the recipe calls for milk, chances are oat milk will do the trick as well. Try it next time you are making cinnamon rolls, vegan chocolate cake, banana bread or basically any type of muffin!
- In smoothies: Add it to your morning smoothie as a low-fat alternative to milk or cream.
Nut Milk, Dairy Free, Vegan, Plant Based
Naturally sweetened, 10 minute oat milk recipe!
Add all the ingredients into a high power blender and blend for 1-2 minutes.
Strain the oat milk mixture by pouring through a cheese cloth or thin towel over a mixing bowl.
Strain the mixture twice to make sure all the sediment is removed.
Transfer the oat milk to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
Sign up to get email updates