Although most people have only encountered dried goji berries in fruit and nut mix, goji berries are also a very versatile ingredient. They can be used to make a variety of delicious recipes, both hot and cold, and can even be brewed into tea. Here are three of our favorite recipes featuring this flavorful superfood ingredient.
Goji berry protein balls
Perfect for snacking on between meals, or for a pick-me-up after the gym, these goji berry balls are packed with plenty of plant-based protein. Here’s how to make them.
You will need
- 25 dates
- 1 cup of cashews
- 1 cup of oats
- ½ cup of dried goji berries
- 1 whole lemon
How to make goji berry protein balls
- Remove the pips and then soak your dates for approximately 20 minutes so that they soften.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice your lemon.
- Next, add all of your ingredients, except the goji berries, to a food processor and whizz to combine.
- Once the mixture is sticky but still a little chunky, add in your goji berries.
- Give everything another quick mix in the food processor and then remove the mixture and roll it into bite-size balls.
- For some extra tang, roll the balls in some more lemon zest, or for some crunchy texture, try rolling them in desiccated coconut.
Glorious goji berry smoothie
Ideal for days when you fancy something sweet for breakfast, or when you have a glut of blueberries to use up, this goji berry smoothie is jammed full of cancer-fighting antioxidants and essential nutrients.
What you’ll need
- ¼ cup of dried goji berries (or 2tbsp of goji berry powder)
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup of water or coconut water
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- ½ a tbsp of flaxseed
How to make a glorious goji smoothie
- If you’re using dried goji berries, then soak them in water for at least 20 minutes, but ideally overnight so that they blend more easily.
- Next, simply add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender and blend.
- Drink your smoothie immediately while it’s fresh.
- If you like your smoothie to be thicker, then add a few ice cubes or use frozen blueberries.
Warming goji berry tea
Goji berry tea is a simple and refreshing alternative to regular tea that has been enjoyed for centuries. You only need two ingredients to make goji berry tea, and it is much cheaper to make it yourself than it is to buy goji berry tea bags from the store.
You will need
- Hot water
- A handful of goji berries
How to make goji berry tea at home
- Boil your kettle.
- Add your dried goji berries to a reusable tea bag or a tea steeper.
- Pour over the boiling water and allow to steep for at least five minutes.
If you don’t find that using goji berries on their own provides you with enough flavor, then try adding a conventional black tea bag into your teapot or a teaspoon of stevia for some sweetness.
So there you have it - three of our favorite simple and easy goji berry recipes. Which one would you like to try first?