Aubergine with Cumin Yogurt
Whether you're for a vegetarian friendly dish or you ust love the taste of baked aubergine then you are going to love-love-love this recipe! Fragrant, colorful and downright delicious this baked aubergine with cumin yogurt and cherry tomatoes will have you drooling at each and every bite.
What Is The Difference Between Eggplant and Aubergine?
You've heard of both aubergine and eggplant and you may be wondering what the difference is, well there is none! Aubergine and eggplant are two names for the same plant. The only difference between the two is that the word aubergine (a French word) is more commonly used by the people living in Europe, while eggplant is widely used by people in North America!
How Is Aubergine Usually Eaten?
There’s no shortage of ways to enjoy aubergine! While it can be eaten raw (though it is quite bitter) aubergine is tastiest when grilled, baked, braised or cooked and pureed into a dip.
Is Aubergine Good For You?
Absolutely! Aubergines are a great source of vitamins B1 and B6. Vitamin B1 (also called thiamine,) helps your body turn food into energy and can also help keep your nervous system healthy. Our bodies can't make vitamin B1 themselves, which means we rely on our diet to provide it.
What You Need To Make Baked Aubergine & Cumin Yogurt:
- Aubergines (x4)
- Seasonings- cumin, salt, pepper
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh herb- mint, parsley, coriander
How To Make Aubergine With Cumin Yogurt:
This dish may look like it has ust came out of a 5 star restaurant, but it is so incredibly easy to prepare!
- Prepare your aubergine: Peel your aubergine in zebra stripes and cut into 3cm slices.
- Roast your aubergine: Place the aubergine slices onto a lined baking tray and season with olive oil & salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-40 (turning halfway through) until golden on top and completely soft. Leave them to cool.
- Toast your almonds: While your aubergine is roasting, toast your almonds in a skillet with some butter on medium heat for approx 23 mins or until golden brown.
- Roast your cherry tomatoes: Place your clusters of cherry tomatoes on a tray and roast them for 15 mins.
- Prepare your yogurt dip: Crush the garlic and mix with cumin and yogurt, set aside.
- Plate your dish: Transfer the aubergine slices to a serving tray. Top with most of the yogurt followed by roasted cherry tomatoes, toasted almonds and fresh herbs.
Appetizer, Starter, Vegetarian Main
4 aubergines, peeled in zebra stripes & cut into 3cm slices
5 tbsp olive oil
1/2 garlic clove, peeled
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup sliced almonds
4 clusters of cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups)
15g fresh herbs such as flat leaf parsley, coriander or mint (thick stalks discarded)
Salt & black pepper
Preheat the oven to 430F
Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Arrange the aubergine slices on the baking tray.
Add olive oil and seasoning on both sides.
Roast the aubergine in the oven until golden on top and completely soft in the middle for 30-40 mins. Turn over the aubergines after 20-25 mins. Leave to cool completely.
Place the cherry tomato clusters on a baking tray, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Roast in the oven for 15 mins.
Crush the garlic. Mix with the cumin and yogurt and set aside.
Transfer the aubergine slices to the serving tray. Top with most of the cumin yogurt followed by roasted cherry tomatoes, toasted almonds & fresh herbs and serve.
Sign up to get email updates