Easy and Delicious Saffron Rice
Saffron can be enjoyed in many different ways and has several exciting uses but one of the most delicious ways to consume saffron is by simply making saffron rice.
Saffron rice is popular in many cultures and the procedure and added ingredients vary a bit between countries, but all variations have the golden color, unique fragrance and wonderful taste in common.
What do you need to make saffron rice?
There are really only two ingredients you need to make saffron rice and that’s good quality saffron and – you guessed it! – rice. White basmati rice is the best option for this dish. Those are the two essential ingredients, but you can experiment with other ingredients for more flavor combinations. For example, you can use butter, different types of stock, onions, bay leaves, salt and/or a bit of lemon juice. There are so many ways to enjoy saffron rice!
A Simple Saffron Rice Recipe
Here’s an easy recipe for delicious saffron rice that you can make at home. This recipe makes enough for 6 people.
- 400g white basmati rice
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter
- A pinch of high-quality saffron strands
- 500ml of vegetable or chicken stock, prepared and hot
- 300ml of boiling water
- Salt for seasoning
- Wash the rice and cover with cold water. Let it soak for 30 minutes before draining.
- Add the butter to a frying pan (if possible, choose one that has a lid) and melt at a medium heat.
- Add the saffron strands to a few tablespoons of hot water and let steep for a few minutes.
- Drain the rice and add the drained rice to the pan and stir.
- Add the saffron, the stock, the water and a bit of salt to the rice and butter.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover the pan and cook until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. This usually takes around 15 minutes but do keep an eye on it.
- Season to taste, serve and enjoy!
This yummy rice would work well along a Moroccan tagine in the winter or grilled chicken and a salad in summer, for example.
Things to remember when making saffron rice
Saffron rice is a really easy dish to make but there are a few things that are important for a good result. The first thing is to ensure you have bought high quality saffron as this is what makes the rice taste, smell and look amazing. Make sure you buy your saffron from a reputable seller to ensure the quality is the best. The second thing is to use white basmati rice and not substitute with other types of rice as the texture is different. Finally, don’t forget to season with a bit of salt as this will complement the flavor and bring the rice to whole new level.
Saffron rice is a simple side dish that can be made easily and quickly at home with just a few ingredients. You can customise it with other ingredients depending on what you like or which other foods you are serving it with. What will you serve alongside your delicious homemade saffron rice?
Sign up to get email updates