Let’s face it, a lot of ingredients used in store-bought dog treats wouldn’t make it onto your kitchen table - so why feed them to your dog! If you’re looking for healthier, human-grade treats to feed to your beloved pet, then here are four of our favorite homemade dog treat recipes.
Frozen Peanut Butter Dog Treats
This delicious recipe comes straight from the international dog-guru Cesar Millan himself. Not only is the recipe packed with important protein and healthy fats, but it’s pretty tasty too, and you may have to stop yourself from dipping in and stealing them from your dog.
To make this frozen peanut butter dog treat, you will only need two ingredients:
- 32 ounces of yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup of peanut butter
Simply melt the peanut butter in the microwave, combine it with the yogurt and then pour the mixture into cupcake papers and place them in the freezer. In just a few hours, you’ll have a tasty frozen treat to feed your dog on warm summer days.
Pumpkin and Ginger Dog Biscuits
These pumpkin and ginger doggie biscuits are perfect for the fall season but are truly delicious all year round and will make your kitchen smell divine! If your dog is avoiding wheat, then feel free to substitute the wheat flour for rice flour to make this recipe gluten and wheat-free.
To make the pumpkin and ginger homemade dog biscuits, you will need:
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour or rice flour
- ½ cup of pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds (shelled and chopped into small pieces)
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup to ½ cup of water
- To make the doggy biscuits, preheat your oven to 275°F (130C) and then combine all of the ingredients except the water in a large bowl.
- Then add your water slowly until the dough comes together but is not too sticky.
- Flour your kitchen surface and roll out your dough until it is ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into your desired biscuit shape using a cookie cutter, and then place your biscuits onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake for approximately two hours, or until completely hard
Flaxseed Doggie Cookies
Flax seeds are one of the healthiest seeds for your dog, helping to keep their coat shiny, their joints moving, and their immune system healthy. There are dozens of flaxseed doggie cookie recipes out there, but this is perhaps one of the simplest. To make these flaxseed homemade dog treats, you only need five ingredients:
- One cup of whole wheat or rice flour
- 1 cup of oats
- ½ a cup of ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup of water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, oats, and flaxseed) in a large bowl.
- Melt your peanut butter in the microwave and add to your dry ingredients.
- Slowly add your water until the dough comes together.
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface until ¼ inch thick and then cut into your desired shape.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hard and golden brown.
Peanut Butter and Hemp Seed Dog Treats
Finally, another great seed to include in your dog treats are hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are also packed with essential omega-3’s which support many aspects of your dog’s health. We love this recipe because it is super simple and only requires four ingredients:
- 2 cups of whole wheat or rice flour
- ¼ cup of hemp seeds
- 1 cup of peanut butter (melted)
- 1 cup of water
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients except the water together in a bowl.
- Slowly add the water until the dough comes together but is not too sticky.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut into shapes.
- Bake on a lined baking tray for approximately 20 minutes until stiff and golden. The time needed for your treats to bake can vary if you cut particularly large or small treat shapes.
- Allow the dog treats to cool completely before feeding to your dog and store them in an airtight container.